[HACK] REVIEW: "The Art of Deception", Kevin D. Mitnick/William L. Simon

Jesus Cea Avion jcea at argo.es
Fri Jan 3 16:20:06 CET 2003

Otro comentario:

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/22.45.html#subj7

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:23:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Fred Cohen <fc at all.net>
Subject: Re: Why you should read or should not read... (Norman, RISKS-22.44)

Why not read the book?
Because the author is a con artist and you are sending him $s?

OK - so Don makes the point that:
        "I'm a student of human psychology...
        I read books by ex-criminals:...
        I learn a lot."

Fair enough.  If you are studying criminal behavior, reading books by
crooks is probably a good idea.  But if you want to know about cons,
far better books are:

        "Flim-Flam" by James Randi
        "Scam School" by Chuck Whitlock
and     "Rip-Off" by Fay Faron

All three are by legitimate researchers who present results taken from
scores to hundreds of incidents and present how and why scams work, the
techniques used, the different plots, and so forth.  They present many
excellent examples of how these sorts of crimes work, how they impact
the victims, the psychology of the criminals, and so forth.

> I learned a lot from ... I was impressed by his approaches. They
> are not as simple and easy to do as a quick reading would make them
> appear. After the fact, everything always looks obvious. But I, for
> example, would find it difficult to even think of the schemes, let alone
> carry them out successfully.

One of the major problems we face in information protection is people who
just don't think cleverly of bad things that could happen.  It might serve
Don well to take an introductory course in the subject matter.  He will
learn a lot more than from a book by a crook and he will be supporting
defenders rather than attackers.

Fred Cohen - http://all.net/ - fc at all.net - fc at unhca.com
tel/fax: 925-454-0171 Fred Cohen & Associates - University of New Haven

<<<<<

--
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at argo.es http://www.argo.es/~jcea/ _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/