[pybsddb] Request For Comments: Deprecation of BerkeleyDB pre-4.0

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Mon Mar 31 09:59:43 CEST 2008

Removing support for 3.x makes sense if it really doesn't work.  I thought
3.3 still worked but its been a couple years since I've tested that.

As a rule of thumb, its a nice idea to support up through whatever version
has shipped in the 3 most recent redhat enterprise linux versions.  RHEL3
shipped with 4.1 so thats a decent baseline version to support.

As for the name change, if you're going to bother with a new name at all I
liked the suggestion of just berkeleydb.  yes its harder to type but I
expect people are used to using from bsddb3 import db anyways so its not
really a big deal.  leave the plain 'bsddb' name available for the version
included with python.

-gps