[pybsddb] Published pybsddb3 4.7.0

Jesus Cea jcea at argo.es
Tue May 27 13:31:21 CEST 2008

Davies Liu wrote:
| install bsddb3 4.7.0 using PYPI successly, but
|
| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "./mdb.py", line 100, in <module>
|     bdb = BerkelyDBStore('mdb', 'localhost', 20101)
|   File "/home/davies/bdb/bdbstore.py", line 51, in __init__
|     env.repmgr_set_local_site(host, port)
| bsddb3.db.DBError: (95, 'Operation not supported -- library build did
| not include support for the Replication Manager')

If you want to use the Replication Manager, you must compile Berkeley DB
library (not pybsddb3) with Replication Manager support :-).

For example, under Solaris 10, I must explicitly add
"--enable-pthread_api" in the Berkeley DB "configure", since RM use
"pthread" and it is not supported by default.

A near future pybsddb3 version will fully support the replication base
API, so you will have full control of the replication process (and you
will need to manage things like elections, sockets and such explicitly).
At this level you don't need to use any special flag when compiling BDB,
but the support code for replication work in your program, without
Replication Manager support, will be far bigger and complex.

| /temp.linux-x86_64-2.5/Modules/_bsddb.o
| Modules/_bsddb.c:4658: error: expected identifier or '(' before '<<' token
| Modules/_bsddb.c:4686: error: expected identifier or '(' before '==' token
| Modules/_bsddb.c:6222: error: 'DBEnv_log_stat' undeclared here (not in a

I guess you are merging bsddb3 code with "other" code using SVN , and
you are having merging conflicts you are not resolving by hand...

Please, try again with a clear checkout (or, far better, use pypi
released version) and with a previously compiled Berkeley DB with
Replication Manager support.

If you still have problems, let me know.

PS: Unless explicitly stated, compiling BSDDB3 from SVN trunk is not
garanteed to work, since the code is in a permanent state of flux.

PPS: If providing a "--enable-pthread_api" flag to the configure step
while compiling Berkeley DB solves you issue, I would suggest you to
contact Gentoo guys to change BDB default compilation flags. Replication
Manager should be compiled in, even if not used, to solve issues like
yours...

- --
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/
jabber / xmpp:jcea at jabber.org         _/_/    _/_/          _/_/_/_/_/