[pybsddb] Error: configured to support only DB_PRIVATE environments

Allan Spale allan2600 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:07:40 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have compiled Python 2.5.2 from source on Red Hat and tried testing bsddb.
I typed the following statements from the command line and received the
following error:

>>> from bsddb import db
>>> env = db.DBEnv(0)
>>> env.open('~/kaleidoscope/', db.DB_CREATE | db.DB_INIT_MPOOL, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
bsddb.db.DBInvalidArgError: (22, 'Invalid argument -- Berkeley DB library
configured to support only DB_PRIVATE environments')

I am wondering if I somehow compiled the source so that I was restricted
from writing to disk. Some additional things about my setup-- I am running
this from a commercial website vendor, so I do not have write permissions to
most of the typical root directories like bin or lib. I could replicate
these in my home directory, but I am not too familiar with how to redirect
makefiles or even install egg modules to point at my own user directories
rather than the system directories. I am basically trying to setup a Python
environment with some extra modules to run a daemon that will interact with
BerkeleyDB files that I create.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Allan