[pybsddb] Auto Reply: Bug: get_size() throws SystemError on zero-sized row data

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Sun Jul 4 18:01:31 CEST 2010

On 04/07/10 17:21, dave.segleau at oracle.com wrote:
> I am out of the office from June 13th through the July 4th. I will be
> back in the office on July 5th. I will only have intermittent access
> to email and my cell phone during that time. I will read and reply to
> your message when I get back to the office.
>
> If you need assistance with a Berkeley DB or Product Management issue
> while I am away, please contact greg.burd at oracle.com or
> ashok.joshi at oracle.com.

Oracle should consider implement RFC 3834,
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834>:

"""
2. When (not) to send automatic responses
[...]
   -  Personal and Group responses whose purpose is to notify the sender
      of a message of a temporary absence of the recipient (e.g.,
      "vacation" and "out of the office" notices) SHOULD NOT be issued
      unless a valid address for the recipient is explicitly included in
      a recipient (e.g., To, Cc, Bcc, Resent-To, Resent-Cc, or Resent-
      Bcc) field of the subject message.  Since a recipient may have
      multiple addresses forwarded to the same mailbox, recipients
      SHOULD be able to specify a set of addresses to the responder
      which it will recognize as valid for that recipient.

      Note: RFC 2822 section 3.6.3 permits varying uses of the Bcc
      field, some of which would allow the sender of the subject message
      to explicitly specify the recipient's address as a "Bcc" recipient
      without a Bcc field appearing in the message as delivered, or
      without the Bcc field in the delivered message containing the
      recipient's address.  However, perhaps because Bcc's are rarely
      used, the heuristic of not responding to messages for which the
      recipient was not explicitly listed in a To, CC, or Bcc header
      field has been found to work well in practice.

[...]
   -  A responder MAY refuse to send a response to a subject message
      which contains any header or content which makes it appear to the
      responder that a response would not be appropriate.  For instance,
      if the subject message contained a Precedence header field
      [I4.RFC2076] with a value of "list" the responder might guess that
      the traffic had arrived from a mailing list, and would not respond
      if the response were only intended for personal messages.  For
      similar reasons, a responder MAY ignore any subject message with a
      List-* field [I5.RFC2369].  (Because Precedence is not a standard
      header field, and its use and interpretation vary widely in the
      wild, no particular responder behavior in the presence of
      Precedence is recommended by this specification.)
"""

I have programmed autoresponders. It is tricky, but can be done correctly.

That said, Dave, you are VERY welcomed here :)

- --
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/
jabber / xmpp:jcea at jabber.org         _/_/    _/_/          _/_/_/_/_/