[pybsddb] How to install bsdbb?

alanpae at ilkda.com alanpae at ilkda.com
Wed Oct 27 05:14:20 CEST 2010

> Stock python bsddb is not compiled against Berkeley DB 5.x because that
> BDB library is newer that the python module.

I'm learnin'.  It seems that the max version of Oracle Berkeley DB is
4.7 and the minimum version is 3.3.

So I grabbed, what else but 4.6.21.  Looking over setup.py it seems that
anything in th 4.6 line prior to 21 is pitched as some red-headed
bastard child.  Just my luck.

Oh well.  I found a bug report for the socket issue and have applied the
one line fix for that.  Then I compile and installed 4.6.32 followed by
pybsddb followed by compiling Python 2.6.4 again.  This time it doesn't
complain about socket but still barfs on bsddb.  I've sent an email to
the Oracle Berkeley forum and am awaiting a response.

That's where it's at right now.

Thanks for trying to help,
alan

> The right approach would be to install bsddb3 (pybsddb 5.0.0 can be
> compiled against 5.1.19 library with a cpmmand line argument, like you
> do) and then write the three lines import trick already described in a

>>> import bsddb3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named bsddb3