[pybsddb] 6.2.4 breaks pypy build inside virtualenv

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Mon Sep 4 03:59:57 CEST 2017

On 03/09/17 23:53, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
> The prior versions do build and install,
> however the last step will try to install headers.

Header installations happens since... forever. I guess there are some
recent change in PYPY distutils.

I can confirm that header present in a Python 3.0 install from 2008:

"""
[jcea at babylon5 bsddb3]$ pwd
/usr/local/include/python3.0/bsddb3
[jcea at babylon5 bsddb3]$ ls -la
total 26
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    3 Aug 13  2008 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   92 Apr 22  2009 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9382 Aug 13  2008 bsddb.h
"""

> But the venv2/include is a symbol link to
> /usr/include , so normal users don't have the
> permissions to do so, but the bsddb3 packages
> are already installed at this stage, and work.

Where do you suggest I should install that header files?. It is needed
by projects like Oracle dbxml. You are going to find the same problem
with other projects with header files. For instance, "greenlet".

That said, if you don't need the headers, you can safely ignore the
error. Ugly, I agree, but this seems a PYPY issue actually. Probably a
recent change in their code.

Suggestions?.

If after carefully evaluating the situation you still think that this is
bsddb3 fault, please, send a new email.

Thanks for the report.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/