[ATARI] RE: Atari digest, Vol 1 #322 - 3 msgs

z-0 at nil.fut.es z-0 at nil.fut.es
Tue Aug 27 06:58:04 CEST 2002

WOW!

>> De todas formas, cuando repare mi STE (de hoy no pasa), videaré si la TOS
>> que lleva es la 2.06. Que es castillera, fijo, pero nosé si la 1.6, la 1.62
>> o la 2.06

>Sólo los MegaSTE llevan el TOS 2.0x, los STE llevan o el 1.6 o el 1.62 (1.6
>corregido)

^c^

La eterna discusión. ^c^

Yo tambenne he tenido mis líos de picha con aquesto de las versiones de TOS,
hasta que face ya bastante tempo, en unas news de Atari escribió un tío
preguntando cómo saber su versión de TOS, y le contestó un excurrante de Atari
Corp. Amasamás, pegando un vistazo a la soberbia [http://www.atari.st]
tambenne dicen que la 2.06 aparece en algunos modelos de STE. ¿Mito o
realidaz?

Porsideacaso, os pego aquí el mensajiqui que apareció en las news. Puede que
tenga algún fallo, pero manque obvia la TOS 2.06, siendo info venida desde
Atari, la menos mi beneficio de la duda sip tiene. Ojito que el mensajiqui es
de *1998*.

--
--
              TOWNS' LITTLE GUIDE TO REVISIONS - VERSION 1.0

                       -- John Townsend - Atari Corp.

[] ROM TOS (TOS 1.0) -------
        The original ROM TOS, this version shipped in 520ST and 1040ST
machines. It is no longer shipping in any machines.
Formats:        2 chip ROMs, 6 chip ROMs
Machines:       520ST, 1040ST
Utilities:      FOLDRXXX.PRG  FOLDRXXX.PRG will add more entries into your OS
Pool. In TOS 1.0 and TOS 1.02, the limit for the number of directories that
you can enter is around 40. With this program you can extend that limit much
higher. If you are using a hard drive, this program is recommended highly.
It will work with all TOS versions and will improve the performance of your
system.
Notes: GET TOS 1.04 TODAY! TOS 1.04 is the latest version of TOS
for 520/1040/MEGA owners. It is MUCH faster, has faster, better disk I/O, many
other improvements.

[] MEGA TOS (TOS 1.02) --------
        This is commonly referred to as MEGA TOS. This version of TOS fixes
some minor problems in TOS 1.0 and has support for the BLiTTER chip and Real-
Time Clock chip.
Formats:        2 chip ROMs, 6 chip ROMs
Machines:       520ST, 1040ST, Mega 2, Mega 4
Utilities:      FOLDRXXX.PRG FOLDRXXX.PRG is explained above.
Notes: See notes for TOS 1.0.. GET TOS 1.04 TODAY!

[] Rainbow TOS (TOS 1.04) -----
TOS 1.04 or Rainbow TOS, as it is commonly known is the latest version of TOS
available for 520/1040/MEGA owners. It has been available as a dealer upgrade
for awhile now.  It has much more robust Disk I/O, Autorunning of GEM programs
at boot up, a fix for the 40 folder limit, and much more.  Most of all is it
much faster than previous versions of the Operating System.
Formats:        2 chip ROMs, 6 chip ROMs (available as Upgrade!)
Machines:       Stacy
Utilities:      TOS14FIX.PRG, POOLFIX3.PRG, CACHEXXX.PRG, FOLDRXXX.PRG
TOS14FIX.PRG solves some small problems in the AES (for additional
information, please see the documentation that accompanies the TOS14FIX.PRG
program). POOLFIX3.PRG fixes a bug in GEMDOS. Documentation that
accompaniesthe POOLFIX3.PRG program explains (in detail) the problem that it
fixes. CACHEXXX.PRG is a new program that adds GEMDOS buffers to your system.
The caching of data and disk directories by GEMDOS (when this programis used)
will result in your system running much faster! This program is highly
recommended and requires TOS 1.04 or higher for full benefits! FOLDRXXX.PRG
is explained above.
Notes: Please use the utilities available and if you haven'tupgraded to this
version of TOS yet.. please consider doing so. It's a very worthwhile upgrade.
There are some disk- based versions of _early_ developer only releases of TOS
1.04 floating around on BBS systems here in the United States and abroad.
Please don't use them! They are bad news! They have some very nasty bugs and
have been known to corrupt data!

[] STE TOS, Rev 1 (TOS 1.06) -------------
TOS 1.06 is the TOS version that is shipped with the 1040STE and 520STE
machines. It is essentially TOS 1.04 with support for the new hardware that
the STE has.
Formats:        2 chip ROMs
Machines:       520STE, 1040STE
Utilities:      STE_FIX.PRG, POOLFIX3.PRG, CACHEXXX.PRG, FOLDRXXX.PRG  STE_FIX
fixes the infamous Desktop Medium/Low resolution bug. The problem is that
there is a bug in the desktop code in this version of TOS that prevents the
user from booting into Medium Resolution. The patch program STE_FIX will solve
the problem.  Once it is executed in the AUTO folder, the problem no longer
exists. FOLDRXXX.PRG, CACHEXXX.PRG, and POOLFIX3.PRG are explained above.
Notes: This version is only available in 1040STE and 520STE machines. It isn't
available for upgrading. It won't work in older machines.

[] STE TOS, Rev 2 (TOS 1.62) --------------
This is a slightly revised revision of TOS 1.6. It fixes the POOLFIX problem
in GEMDOS and the problem in the Desktop that was present in TOS 1.06.
Formats:        2 chip ROMs
Machines:       520STE, 1040STE
Utilities:      CACHEXXX.PRG, FOLDRXXX.PRG  CACHEXXX.PRG and FOLDRXXX.PRG are
explained above.
Notes: This version is only available in 1040ST and 520STE machines. It isn't
available for upgrading.

[] Mega STE TOS (TOS 2.05) -----------
TOS 2.05 is the version of TOS currently shipping in the Mega STE.
Formats:        2 chip ROMs
Machines:       Mega STE
Utilities:      CACHEXXX.PRG, FOLDRXXX.PRG CACHEXXX.PRG and FOLDRXXX.PRG are
explained above.
Notes: This version is only available in the Mega STE. It isn't available for
upgrading.

[] TT TOS (TOS 3.01) ----------
 TOS 3.01 is the version of TOS that originally shipped in the TT030.
Formats:        4 chip ROMs
Machines:       TT030
Utilities:      CACHEXXX.PRG, FOLDRXXX.PRG  CACHEXXX.PRG and FOLDRXXX.PRG are
explained above.
Notes: This version is only avaible in the TT030. It isn't available for
upgrading.

[] TT TOS (TOS 3.05) ------
TOS 3.05 is the latest version of TOS currently shipping in the TT030.
Formats:        4 chip ROMs
Machines:       TT030
Utilities:      CACHEXXX.PRG, FOLDRXXX.PRG, SERPTCH1.PRG  CACHEXXX.PRG and
FOLDRXXX.PRG are explained above.
Notes: This version is only avaible in the TT030. It isn't available for
upgrading.
--
--

De todas formas sería más que interesante disponer de un pograma al uso que te
chivara cuala versión de TOS se tiene. Face un ratito lo he bujcando por

--

S.T.A.R.