[pybsddb] Win32 Install help

Joepaul Puthenangadi joepaulp at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 21:45:25 CET 2010

Hi there,

First of all thanks for creating a module that can work with python and berkeley DB and also for all the contributions here.

Wanted to ask a simple (stupid may be) question regarding installing the module

I am trying to learn and see whether I would be able to use berkeley DB for my application and having some difficulty in getting it installed. I am using Windows XP 32 bit version and working with python 2.6.4.

Downloaded the bsddb3-4.8.3 version of the module and is placed in the Python264\Lib\site-packages but when I try to run the setup.py it gives an error

"No such file or directory: 'db/include\\db.h'"

Berkeley DB is installed by the Oracle windows executables and the folder where it is installed is E:\Joe\Application\BerkeleyDB

Reading the setup2.py in notes in it talks about

# So to make things easier, I'm just going to exepect that the DB stuff
# has been moved to the ./db directory. There's an updatedb.bat file to
# help.

 Am I suppose to move the files to any directory .? I couldn't find the updatedb.bat file in the
bsddb3-4.8.3 folder.

Also going through the Readme file it talks about the

# If you are on a Win32 system then you can just get the binary
# installer and run it and then you'll be all set.

Couldn't find any windows installer too. Is there a way I can get this working, I am sorry if it is too obvious.

tried some variations of --lflags="-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /Application/BerkeleyDB/lib"
And --berkeley-db=/Application/BerkeleyDB
with no success

I think, need to link the  module to know where the Berkeley DB is, but don't know how to link it. Any help.?

Really appreciate all your time and help.

Thanks