[pybsddb] Preview: "berkeleydb 18.1.0" - PLEASE TEST!

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Thu Nov 12 01:56:52 CET 2020

Hi all.

I am releasing a new version of this project, renamed to "berkeleydb".
You would simply change "import bsddb3" to "import berkeleydb" and
change the encoding of your keys/values to upgrade your code to this new
release.

This release is Python 3.6 and up only. It is not compatible with python
2. It can be linked with Oracle Berkeley DB 4.8, 5.3, 6.2 and 18.1.

There are tons of minor changes. Please, review changelog at
<https://hg.jcea.es/pybsddb/file/18.1.0/ChangeLog>.

Main changes:

- Library renamed from "bsddb3" to "berkeleydb".
- Keys and values must be bytes now. Previously, they were simple
strings for Python 2 compatibility. The right datatype is "bytes", so
this is probably the major breaking change you need to overcome in your
project.
- Module "dbtables" is gone. Let me know if you want it back again.
- Rebranding of the project (documentation, mailing list, webpage) is
not done yet. Sorry. You can use "bsddb3 6.2.x" documentation with this
"berkeleydb 18.1.0" release.

https://pypi.org/project/berkeleydb/18.1.0/

Please, test this release and give me feedback. I know you will need to
upgrade your source code to be compatible, but I think this is the right
way to move forward now that we can drop Python 2.

After your feedback, I could publish a 18.1.1 release with your
suggestions and a "bsddb3 6.2.8" release pointing to this new iteration
of the project if you install it under Python 3.

If you are still running Python2 or Python 3 <3.6, keep using "bsddb3".

Project webpage (not updated to "berkeleydb" rebranding and 18.1.0
release yet): <https://www.jcea.es/programacion/pybsddb.htm>.

Please, provide feedback and be constructive.

Thanks for your patience.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - https://www.jcea.es/    _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/