[pybsddb] Request for Assistance with Oracle Berkeley DB Python Package and Specific DB Binding for Windows OS

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Thu Jun 22 17:27:25 CEST 2023

On 22/6/23 11:55, Yura Korzun wrote:
> I understand that the current support includes Python 3.11 and newer
> across all operating system versions. However, in our project, we are
> currently using the Windows operating system and specifically require a
> binding with Berkeley DB version 4.8 or 5.3, not any later versions.
> This presents us with certain specific requirements and challenges.

Current "BerkeleyDB" bindings can be compiled against Berkeley DB 4.8
(to be dropped sometime in the future), 5.3, 6.2 and 18.1. They works on
python 3.7-3.11 and 3.12 prereleases are being tested regularly.

> Given this, I kindly request your guidance on how we can compile the
> package for our specific OS version and with the aforementioned Berkeley
> DB binding. Your expertise and assistance in this matter would be highly
> beneficial and greatly appreciated.

The problem is that I am not able to compile in MS Windows. Sorry about
that. If somebody else could provide instructions or precompiled
packages, that would be amazing.

> Alternatively, if it would be more feasible, we would also greatly
> appreciate if you could provide a compiled version for Windows OS with
> the required Berkeley DB version binding and upload it to the PyPI
> repository. This would indeed make our operations smoother and more
> efficient.

I can not provide that personally because I don't have windows machines
and I lack the experience to compile there. But I would welcome
precompiled packages provided by somebody else and I would published
them in PYPI.

The reason I don't provide precompiled packages for Linux either is
because a) Linux users are used to compile and tools are usually already
installed b) compilation is usually transparent if the right tools are
installed and c) currently, bindings needs to be compiled for the right
version of Python you are using and the right version of Berkeley DB you
have installed.

In my roadmap I plan to evolve the project to use the Python STABLE API,
although this is not very useful without distributing a binary wheel
containing binaries for each Berkeley DB supported version and use, at
import time, the version you do actually have installed. Current
"compile and install using your current environment" is far more simple
for me and unix users don't have issues with that.

Talking about Windows, there is value of a PYPI precompiled Python
STABLE API version linked against BDB 5.3 (Because licensing issues).
Then you would only need to install Oracle Berkeley DB. But I can not do
that myself. I need somebody else to do it, of somebody else providing a
windows compilation environment with cristal clear instructions I can use.

Also, would be nice to be able to provide updated packages, so any
collaboration would need to be long term, not a single event for a
particular version.

Of course, all of this could be easier if money is involved. I don't
know if you would explore that path.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - https://www.jcea.es/    _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/